Paul McIlroy / St Margaret's Cave
, via Wikimedia Commons
St Margaret's Cave. This small building which is situated in the Glen Bridge car park is the entrance to the cave which is named after Queen Margaret, who used to meditate and pray here in the 11th century. She was Queen of Scotland, canonised in 1250 and made patron saint of Scotland in 1673. The cave is one of Scotland's holiest shrines.
During the construction of the car park in 1969 the council wanted to bury the cave under tons of concrete. This sparked a public outcry and the council then agreed to build a tunnel under the car park to allow access to the cave.
From this building 84 steps lead down to a tunnel which then turns into a single chamber 10 feet long by 8 feet wide and 8 feet high